Senior Laravel Developer
United Kingdom, London, City of, LondonEngineering Team
"I've been looking for the right culture for years and they just seem to have the special sauce"
Duncan Custerson Head of Business Development @ Hex
At Hex we’re striving to improve the world through partnerships with responsible organisations. We do this by creating platforms that drive conscious, ethical and powerful change. We look to innovate both in what we produce and how we produce it.
Hex is a digital product and growth agency with a diverse group of incredibly talented people from all over the world. Our award-winning team is currently 26 strong, and composed of 11 different nationalities. We believe safe spaces where everyone can be their authentic selves are the key to a strong team - we welcome and embrace all identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
We work with founders, startups, businesses, educational institutions and worldwide organisations to deliver impactful messaging, facilitate action and change the world.
With our start ups, we build out their business, product, culture and processes, often making their first key technical hires and building out their internal teams in partnership with our own. We mostly work on greenfield builds, using cutting edge technology to build excellent products.
About the Opportunity
Hex partners with organisations and start ups to help define and build their brand, product and marketing functions. We collaborate closely with our clients to design, develop, build and launch high-touch applications that change the world. We’re most active in the first 1-2 years of a start up’s lifecycle, making key technical decisions for their product and building out their first featureset.
This role is for a key individual contributor to develop and maintain stateless APIs for our clients, as well as Hex internal and external projects. These applications are built primarily with Laravel and GraphQL, and serve frontend websites and native apps. We're looking for someone comfortable making key technical decisions and happy to set technical direction for the products, while delivering high quality code.
If you love creating greenfield, stateless APIs that are scalable and performant, and are a big fan of doing that with Laravel, then this is the role for you.
What we offer
- A competitive £55k - £80k salary based on skills and experience
- Flexible working with commitment based sprints, that is family-friendly
- A MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip (or your choice of equivalent laptop)
- A budget for home office setup (e.g. for a monitor, mouse + keyboard)
- An annual bonus scheme
- Company share scheme
- A tailored development and training plan to help you learn and grow
- A yearly training budget of £1,000 for you to spend on books, courses, conferences, etc
- 25 days holiday as standard, plus 1 extra day for each anniversary you have with us
- Perks such as cycle to work, perksatwork.com
- Yearly summer and Christmas parties (ask us about them!)
As a Senior Laravel Engineer
- Be responsible for the backend development of stateless APIs that meet our product requirements
- Work closely with experts in Product Strategy and Engineering to prioritise scope, estimate feature size, plan implementation and ultimately deliver on features for the API
- Ensure and maintain a high quality of code through code review with your peers
- Help coach and mentor our team of talented engineers
Jamie, our Head of Engineering, will be directly responsible for you at Hex. He’ll make sure you have everything you need to be successful in the role, including a comprehensive self development plan, mentoring and regular catch ups.
Outside of Engineering, you’ll be working closely and collaboratively with colleagues of all levels and experts in all functions, including design, creative strategy, project management, client services, and marketing and growth.
Technologies you'll be exposed to
- PHP, Laravel
- Stateless APIs, GraphQL
- Google Cloud Platform - Cloud Storage, Cloud SQL, App Engine
- Pest PHP
- PHPStan, ECS
- git, GitHub, GitHub Actions
What You'll Bring
- Strong, demonstrable experience building stateless APIs with Laravel
- Good knowledge of OOP and SOLID principles
- Good knowledge of testing methodologies and writing testable code
- Good experience collaborating with cross-functional team members
- Good written and communication skills
- Experience integrating with 3rd parties via APIs
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about Hex and how we work
- Have one-on-one's and pairing sessions with the people you'll be working closely with and get to know your Hex peers
- Dive into the world of the client(s) and product(s) that you’ll be working with
- Contribute several working features, commit and deploy them to production
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your peers and leaders, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress against areas of focus
- Gain a more robust understanding of the needs of your clients and products
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your teammates through thoughtful feedback
- Make significant contributions to the product in both planning and implementation, and help manage deployments and rollouts of those features
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in your products
- Make significant impact for our team by being a key contributor to an engineering led initiative to improve our codebase or processes to enable us to scale better as an organisation
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organisation
- Participate in the interview process for other engineer candidates
About Our Team
Of everything we've ever built at Hex, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered and engaged team members do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and will be looking to you for suggestions to improve in your role, and in every aspect of building a company. We want to make sure we find inventive ways to collaborate, debate, and learn from each other.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our team page.
Hex has a Farringdon based office, where everyone has a spacious desk embedded within your high-performing team with storage for you to use. We also have several spaces for collaboration, such as meeting rooms and sofas. The office is provided as a benefit to help facilitate socialising and collaboration, but there is no mandate for its use. While most of us are based out of London, our team is fully remote and we are accommodating of this.
Even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications above, please apply anyway! This description is a guide on what we think would be the perfect candidate, but is not a list of requirements. Everyone is unique and will bring skills and experience we haven’t thought of.
When applying, please include a CV or short listing of your skills and experience. A LinkedIn profile would also be fine. If you would like to, a cover letter explaining why you’d enjoy working in this role and at Hex would be great, though it’s not required and won’t impact your application. Once we receive your application we’ll get back to you with next steps.
Not the right role for you? Get in touch and tell us about yourself. We're always on the lookout for brilliant minds in all roles and experience levels.
We’re devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe our success is driven by the unique perspectives, ideas and contributions that come from a varied team. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.
£55-80k salary based on skills and experience.